Yin and Yang Appetizer

Last year I teased a delicious appetizer that my husband's family has always made for Christmas. This is the Yin and Yang Dip.


My first Christmas experience with my Husband (then boyfriend), he raved about the yin and yang dip his parents always make for Christmas day. Being the southern girl that I am, I am all about a good dip but when I heard that it had Caviar in it, I couldn't help but cringe. Little did I know that I would soon be falling in love with fish eggs. Hey, I love oysters, shrimp, crawfish, pretty much anything this Florida Panhandle girl can eat from the sea, why not caviar?

It is a little expensive because it has Caviar on top but if you plan it right, I can find jars for sale at my local grocery store (Publix) for $6.99 a jar. Thats a steal. But everything else, I bet you will already have on hand.

Here is what you need:
4 - boiled eggs
1 - 8oz. Cream Cheese
Mayonnaise
Red Lumpfish Caviar
Black Lumpfish Caviar
Green Onions

And that is all you need! 

So here is how you make it.

Step 1) About 2 hours before putting the whole thing together, begin to strain your caviar and have your cream cheese out and thawing. Its important to strain the caviar really good because you don't want the extra liquid to ruin your dip. Now is also a good time to boil your eggs if you haven't already.


Step 2) Peel your eggs and mash up the eggs into tiny little bits. I usually start with a fork and knife, cutting and slicing and then I continue with the fork, mashing up the eggs.


Step 3) Add your mayonnaise. Its up to you how much you want, my in-laws are super health conscious so we really only add just enough to moisten the eggs and keep them together. Maybe 1/4 cup. If that doesn't seem to be enough you can always mix in more. 


Step 4) Spread your cream cheese on the center of a plate. In the pictures, you can see that the plate has a dip down so it gives us a good edge to spread the cream cheese up to.


Step 5) Begin the process of making your yin and yang. Sorry I don't have a picture but highly with your knife, draw the swivel that will separate the two colors. Then do the same thing with the dots. And now fill in with your caviar, directly on top of the cream cheese. Don't go to the edge of the plate. I am going to have to figure out how you bloggers draw on your pictures but in the picture below, in the background you can see the plate with the caviar. 


Step 6) Add your egg mix to the edge of the caviar.


Step 7) Add a little bit of chopped up green onions and you are ready to go!


Serve with Bruchetta Chips such as Stacy's Bagel Chips and enjoy. 


Grab your chip, dig deep and get some cream cheese, caviar and top it with the egg spread and enjoy!
And don't listen to Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail, the Caviar is not a garnish, eat away!! 


Xoxo, Lynsey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Friday Favorites